If you are an individual without a diploma from a dental technology program or are simply waiting for your registration as a dental technician to be processed, you can still work in a dental laboratory so long as you are registered as a Dental Technician Assistant.

An Assistant must work under the supervision of a Registered Dental Technician (RDT), and may only provide the services delegated to him or her by the RDT.  Each RDT can supervise up to three Assistants and one Student without an exemption in place.  For more on the supervision guidelines, please see the College's Supervision brochure.

An individual is entitled to be registered as a Dental Technician Assistant if the individual

  • has graduated from Grade 12 in a secondary school in British Columbia, or in the opinion of the Registration Committee, the equivalent of Grade 12 in another jurisdiction
  • is of good character and fit to practice the profession
  • submits a completed application form, Solemn Declaration (Form 1), and the fees required.


Apply online for registration as a Dental Technician Assistant